Independence Day is arguably the most famous day of the year for backyard BBQs, cookouts, camping adventures, and parties with family and friends. It’s the peak of summer, a national holiday, and what better way to celebrate than by preparing fine food and drink for your guests. This 4th of July, spice up the usual burgers and hot dogs by adding a few cannabis-themed elements. We’ve got plenty of recipes to fuel your culinary adventures or inspire you to create your own.
Infusing with Cannabis
Weed edibles are loved by many. Once you get familiar with how to dose, eating your weed is a reliable, long-lasting high without smoking. While edibles from a dispensary are always enjoyable, there’s a special kind of magic that comes with making your own. Not to mention the breadth of versatility when you take things into your own hands.
Cooking with cannabis is not as tricky as you might think. Sure, we’ve all had a mishap or two with a highly potent brownie, but nowadays, it’s much easier to infuse your own foods and beverages with concentrated cannabis oils, butter, and even hash.
If you decide to infuse foods, you’ll need to get your hands on the ingredients first. Making cannabis butter is pretty easy, just don’t forget to measure the potency first and take extra care as you weigh out your ingredients. Cannabis cooking oil is a great alternative to butter if you prefer lighter oil like olive.
The main thing you have to do is decarboxylate the dried herb to activate the THC so be sure to follow all instructions advised to bring the ingredients to the right temperature. If you’re not quite ready to make your own infusions, check with your local dispensary. Many shops have ready-made oils and butter for you to make your own at home.
We’ve got some great recipes below that will pair perfectly with any 4th of July plans this weekend.
There are so many classics for a 4th of July cookout, but we whittled down our list to feature our top favorites. Each one can be customized to your personal taste, including the THC potency.
Grilled Chicken Legs with Cannabis-Infused BBQ Sauce
Tangy BBQ sauce on a perfectly grilled chicken leg can only be made better with a little THC. Follow the recipe above for cannabis-infused cooking oil to incorporate into the BBQ sauce.
What You’ll Need:
- 4 pounds of chicken legs
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup cannabis-infused oil
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon fresh black pepper
- ½ tablespoon ground mustard
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Set the chicken legs aside while you make the sauce. It’s a good time to preheat the grill while you do this part. In a large bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients. Add in the sugar, then all of the dried herbs and spices. Whisk well until thoroughly combined.
- Pat the chicken legs dry and place them on a baking sheet. Split the BBQ sauce into two bowls. Use a sauce brush to apply a layer of BBQ sauce and then turn the legs and coat the other side.
- Grill the chicken legs on medium heat for 30-35 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Flip the legs every five minutes to encourage even cooking.
- Serve the chicken legs with the additional sauce for anyone who would like an additional dose of THC.
Grilled Corn with Chili Lime Canna-Butter
Corn on the cob is a seasonal delight that cannot be overlooked. But, with this new take on an old classic, you’ll be coming back for seconds.
What You’ll Need:
- 8 ears of corn
- 4 tablespoons cannabis butter
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 12 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ⅔ cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Peel back the husks from the corn, removing all silks but leave the husks attached. Rinse the corn in cool water and pat dry. Fold the husks back over the cobs.
- Preheat the grill to medium and brush oil across the grill grates.
- Grill the corn for 20-25 minutes, rotating every five minutes to prevent uneven cooking.
- Remove from heat and carefully pull back the husks.
- Brush the corn with cannabis butter and cover with lime juice. Sprinkle on chili powder, and sea salt, and top with cilantro and cheese. Serve whole, or cut into halves.
Mocktails are zero-proof drinks that you can enjoy in lieu of alcoholic beverages, or in between for the perfect cross-fade. This recipe is fresh, juicy, and contains just the right amount of THC.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 can Mango Blood Orange PBR High Seltzer
- 1 ounce pure cranberry juice
- ½ ounce grenadine
- ½ fresh grapefruit
- 2 basil leaves
- Slice one ring from the grapefruit and set it aside. Hand-squeeze the remaining grapefruit into a pint glass and muddle with one basil leaf.
- Transfer to a cocktail shaker and add the cranberry juice and grenadine. Fill with ice and shake vigorously.
- Fill a pint glass halfway with ice and pour in the High Seltzer. Strain the liquid from the shaker over the sparkling seltzer.
- Garnish with the remaining basil leaf and the grapefruit.
It’s impossible to pick only one THC-infused dessert, so we compiled a list of several to choose from to appease every palate. You can easily swap out the regular butter for cannabis butter in each of these sweet treats.
You can always choose to go half and half with cannabis and regular butter to get the potency you desire.
No matter what you make this year, be sure to clearly label anything that contains cannabis before serving it to your guests! Write down the serving size with THC potency so everyone can get just the right amount they crave for a perfectly buzzed-up holiday. Modify any of the above recipes as you see fit, like swapping out ribs or steak for chicken. The chili-lime cannabis butter is great on corn but pairs wells with grilled zucchini, eggplant, and even broccoli.If you aren’t into mocktails, simply sip a can of PBR High Seltzer on its own. Try them out in Lemon, Strawberry Kiwi, and Passion Fruit Pineapple. With delivery throughout select areas of California, you can get all of the goods from Pabst Labs delivered right to your door.